The inaugural APP program is the society’s tribute to the fundamental role APPs have within the multidisciplinary care team and the contributions of allied health personnel in general to the betterment of head and neck cancer care. This year’s meeting focuses on survivorship through quality and innovation and the APP program will aim to address this theme. Come join us in Chicago, meet colleagues, expand your knowledge, identify opportunities for professional advancement and collaboration.
The programming will take place on Sunday, July 19, 2020 from 10:15 am CT – 5:00 pm CT.
|10:15 am||Welcome||Deepa Shah, PA-C|
|10:30 am||Managing Adverse Events following Head and Neck Surgery:
A Review in Post-Operative Care for the Advanced Practice Provider
|Rachelle Gish-Johnson, MSN, CRNP|
|11:10 am||Benefits of Implementing Inpatient Enhanced Recovery Pathways||Deborah Vaughn PA-C & Ann Mitchell Ellsworth, MSN, CNS|
|11:50 am||Preparing Patients with Advanced Stage Head and Neck Cancer for Surgery||Trina Sheedy, MMS, PA-C|
|12:30 pm||Lunch on Own ( 1 hour)|
|1:30 pm||Communication Skills for Engaging with Difficult Patient Behaviors||Laura Kirk, MSPAS, PA-C|
|2:30 pm||The Integrated Visit: Collaborating with Speech and Language Pathologists||Christina Kelly, MA, CCC-SLP|
|3:10 pm||Evidence and Dogma: Pretreatment Imaging for Head and Neck Cancer Patients||Hilda Stambuk, MD|
|3:50 pm||Survivorship Care in Head and Neck Cancer||Jonas Johnson, MD, FACS; Marci Nilsen, PhD, RN; Casey Fazier, PA; and Heather Starmer, MA, CCC-SLP, BCS-S|
|4:50 pm||Q&A and Wrap Up|
|5:15 pm||Networking Reception – Details to Come!|
For Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Advanced Practice Providers, Physician Assistants, and Speech Language Providers, if you plan to attend the full AHNS International Conference, this symposium is included in the full conference registration fee.
App Symposium ONLY – $265 (Access to only this session on Sunday, July 18, 2020)
AHNS Accreditation Statement
The American Head & Neck Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. For more information regarding CME credits please visit https://www.ahns2020.org/cme/.
This activity has been submitted to the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, Inc. for approval to award contact hours. The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, Inc. is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Activities that are approved by AORN are recognized as continuing education for registered nurses. This recognition does not imply that AORN or the ANCC Commission on Accreditation approves or endorses any product in the presentation.
AAPA Accreditation Statement
This activity has been reviewed by the AAPA Review Panel and is compliant with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 5.50 AAPA Category 1 CME credits. PAs should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
This activity was planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria for Live Programs and for Commercial Support of Live Programs.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will gain knowledge and skill of:
- The most common post-operative complications including seroma, hematoma, and wound dehiscence and best practices to manage these conditions.
- Enhanced recovery pathways (ERAS) as they pertain to head and neck patients and multidisciplinary team-based care.
- Pre-operative considerations for patients requiring free tissue transfer surgery. Discussion will include best practices for wound care, pain management, swallow/speech therapy, and social work interventions.
- How to effectively communicate with head and neck patients and specifically how to approach the “difficult patient” and “giving bad news.”
- How to collaborate with Speech Language Pathologists to ensure best outcomes for speech and swallowing for head and neck patients.
- Head and neck radiology including anatomy, pathology, and indications for ordering different radiological exams.
- Regarding creating and maintaining a Survivorship Clinic for head and neck cancer patients.
Save the Date Slide!
Please include the APP program promotional slide in your upcoming meeting presentations between now and July 2020. The slide can be easily downloaded here.